Sunday, February 24, 2008

We Have A Winner

Yes I won the golf match against my son today. I shot 36 on the front nine and it was already over. The back nine was more of a coaching session than a match. My son was striking it well but his head slipped up his ass when I rolled in a birdie putt on the fifth hole. I tried to talk him into pulling his head out from that moment on because I could see what was about to happen. He, like his father, is a stubborn, pig headed jackass though, so it took six or seven holes to get through to him. He finally took my advice and yanked his head completely out of his ass, and instantly began to focus and play good golf once again.
Today being the first time on the course in two months for either of us, I would say the results were positive. I'm sore as hell though. That's a really long walk. If Ian can retain what he learned today with respect to his mental approach to a round of golf, this should be a very good season for him. He needs to focus not on a target score before he begins the round, but on good quality shotmaking. If he forgets about score and just focuses on hitting a good shot every time, the score will take care of itself. Setting a target score to acheive sets you up for failure and puts pressure on you that will distract your focus and cause you to make bad decisions and even poorer swings. Thats the Swing Mechanic,(thats me) lesson of the week. So put that on your tee and smoke it. Please support global warming, I really miss golf weather. I'm going to do my part and leave my diesel powered service truck running all night . If that doesn't increase the greenhouse gas levels I'll have to go out and get a couple of cows!

No comments: