Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Project Conquest Update

We got the engine back from the machine shop on Friday. It had been there for quite a while. While it was gone, we dodged snowstorms and spent the time detailing the engine compartment. I discovered that my son does a very good job on work that requires alot of attention to detail. This was a nice surprise, since most of the time he only seems to put forth the minimum required effort on anything he does.
I was very surprised with the condition of the engine that was in the car when we got it. I expected the engine to be a high mileage original. But while the block was the original, the engine had been recently butchered by someone who has no right ever opening the hood of a car ever again. The head was an earlier year head. Now this is o.k. if you use the correct rockers with the cam that's in the head, but they ran mechanical rockers on a hydraulic cam, resulting in a worn out cam and rockers. The block had been bored .020 over, but the dumbasses ran standard pistons. I know!. Not only were the pistons standard, they were 9.0:1 compression flat top pistons. This is a turbocharged engine, it's supposed to have 7.0:1 dished pistons. No wonder it barely ran! Anyway, we decked it, bored it, balanced it, replaced the head with a new casting, had a new cam ground, replaced the valvetrain, eliminated the silent shafts and jet valves, did some mild porting on the exhaust runners and now we're assembling. We've got the rotating assembly together, and we'll start the external stuff tomorrow. My son is learning more than he ever wanted about his new car. That is the whole idea behind this project. Help him understand the way a car works, and get some good father son time. I can't wait until my daughters get old enough to drive, I've already been looking at cars I think would make good father daughter projects!

No comments: