Thursday, March 27, 2008

Project Conquest Complete

The Conquest that my son and I have been building the engine for is done. It looks cool and it runs great. I think it will make an awesome first car for my boy. Some might think a crappier car would be a better way to go for a teenagers first car. I have my own thoughts on that situation.


My son now knows what it takes to put a car like this into good running condition. He bloodied his own hands and learned first hand the expense involved with repairs on a car of his own. I think that this experience in itself will help him make better decisions when it comes to how he cares for this car. I've seen friends who have bought their kids beaters for their first vehicles, and the kids treated the cars like beaters. They never developed the respect for their vehicles that someone who builds their own does, and it shows on their driving records and their fenders. Having pride in something that you helped create is a good thing, and he will feel that every time he drives his new car. I can't think of a better way to start driving.


Here are a couple of pictures. We did the motor yellow so it would look at home in the factory yellow engine compartment. As far as Conquest engines go, I think this one is one of the cleanest I've seen, and it runs as good as it looks. It doesn't have the balls out horsepower that some of the v8's I've built had, but the turbo works well and it definately gets with it. This car handles as well as anything I've ever driven. It's fun to drive. It kind of gives me the same rush I get from riding a motorcycle. I hope the boy can keep his foot out of it!

No comments: