Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Sacred Things

When I was a kid I had friends whose fathers were contractors. Because their fathers were contractors, their garages were filled with all kinds of really nice tools. These same tools were within reach, but deemed to be off limits under the penalty of death! I never liked or completely understood this. I guess you could say the fathers didn't trust the kids. Now that I'm a father, and I have more cool tools than most people know exist, I disagree with the "stay out of my stuff" policy even more strongly than I did as a kid.
My kids all have full use of any of my tools that they think they can handle. As long as the tools are clean and back where they belong before I have to use them for work, they are fair game. What's mine is theirs as far as I'm concerned...... except for three things.
Don't ever touch my gun. My Para Ordinance P-12 45 goes with me everywhere I go. I very rarely actually shoot it. I don't need to. I just love the fact that it is there. It is a beautiful peice of machinery. In fact , in my eyes, it's a work of art, a masterpiece. I call it my Buddy. So, Daddy's sacred thing number one, my Buddy.
Don't ever touch my chainsaw! My Stihl Farm Boss is the second sacred thing in my tool collection. When we need firewood, this baby gets it done. I don't want to be surprised with a worn out chain or some kind of starting problem. I keep it nice, and it works for me. So stay away from my chainsaw and you won't meet my Buddy!
My Peaks. Don't touch my Peaks. "What the hell are Peaks", you ask? Duh. they're my sunglasses stupid. Everybody knows that. But these are not your run of the mill dark sunglasses. These are special. My beautiful wife got them for me, and that's not all. These Peakvision glasses are specifically designed for golf, and that's MY game. The importance of these shades and the emotional attachment I feel to them cannot be measured using any currently recognized system of measurement. So the third item on my list of sacred things is my Peakvision sunglasses. If someone was to damage or lose my peaks, both my Buddy and my chainsaw would be put to immediate use!

No comments: